Subject: Re: more on the phantom quad point
Date: Dec 23, 2002 @ 22:10
Author: acroorca2002 <orc@orcoast.com> ("acroorca2002 <orc@...>" <orc@...>)

jack
major thanx for this detailed & exacting review & confirmation

i have previously written & posted a much longer reply with a pic
all which however has apparently been lost in transit
or rather hopefully just postponed by the yahoo server
as sometimes happens
& with luck it may eventually arrive on the message board
so i wont try to reconstruct it all now

but the skinny is that i follow & agree with everything you say
except possibly your comment at the end of point 9 here below
that the 1834 change apparently didnt change the quadpoint

for i now think it may have terminated the quadpoint forever

i certainly agree the quadpoint was real from 1828 to 1834
but my reading of figs 27 & 28 suggests to me that
all the indian country became a single huge piece in 1834
extending all the way from east texas to the canadian border
& that it all remained so until 1854
when the reduction of kansas & nebraska territories pushed the
northern limit of indian territory all the way back south to the 37th
parallel
but not all the way to the original indian country of 1824 & 1828

if so
then the joining of all the indian territory east of the ok panhandle
with all the indian territory west of arkansaw
does appear to have occurred in 1834
reducing the quadpoint to a tripoint after only 6 years of existence

but it is so incredibly complicated
& hard facts have been so elusive
that i would agree the date of the demise of the phantom should
continue as an open question

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "jparsell"
<jparsell@n...> wrote:
> Referring to attached Fig 28 from bus&ss, note that it shows
the south
> boundary of KS at 36d 30'N. This is an obvious error since as
outlined
> below Kansas as a Territory and as a State has never
extended south of the
> 37th parallel.
>
> Figure 27 shows the correct south boundary of KS at 37d, but
also shows a
> dashed-line continuation of 36d 30'(circled on map) across
what became
> Oklahoma. Between the 100th and the 103rd parallels 36d 30'
forms the south
> boundary of the Oklahoma panhandle. Michael's concern is
that that if the
> circled portion of 36d 30' was at any time a border then, at least
for a
> time there might have been a quad point at the eastern end.
>
> The following chronology of events leads me to the conclusion
that there
> probably was a quad point:
>
> 1. 1803 - Louisiana Purchase
> 2. 1812 - Territory of Missouri established which included all of
the
> original Louisiana purchase except the State of
Louisiana.
> 3. 1819 - Treaty with Spain which fixed the boundary at the
Sabine R.
> This reduction was territory west of 100th meridian and
south
> of the Red R. (see fig.27)
> 4. 1819 - Arkansaw Terr. formed with western boundary at
100th meridian
> and northern boundary at 36d 30'. This defines the
encircled
> boundary in Figure 27.
> 5. 1821 - Missouri was declared a State with the south
boundary at
> 36d 30'N except in the SE corner of the State. The
western
> boundary was set at the point where 36d 30' parallel is
> intersected by a meridian line passing through the
middle of
> the mouth of the Kansas R. where it empties into the
Missouri
> R.
> 6. 1823 - West boundary of MO was surveyed south from the
mouth of the
> Kansas R. A large stone post was set to mark the SW
corner of
> the State at 36d 29'58.0" N, 94d 37'02.9" W. This
established
> the tri-point of ARterr-MO-MOterr.
> 7. 1824 - Arkansaw Terr. was reduced by moving the west
boundary from
> the 100th meridian to approx. 95d 20'W to set aside the
Indian
> country. This did not change the 1823 tri-point.
> 8. 1828 - Further reduction in Arkansaw Terr. which
established the
> western boundary to its present location. see Figure 28.
> This created the quad-point of ARterr-Indian country-MO-
> MOterr. (note the map should show MOterr instead of
KS).
> 9. 1834 - Indian Territory set apart as all that part of the area
not
> within the States of MO, LA and Terr. of AR. This
apparently
> did not change the quad-point.
> 10. 1836 - Arkansas became a State. Boundaries same as
1828. Note the
> change in spelling which did not become official until
1881.
> Quad-point still there.
> 11. 1850 - Act of Sept. 9 established the north boundary of
State of
> Texas at the point at which the 100 meridian intersects
the
> parallel of 36d 30'N. This established the remaining
section
> of 36d 30' between the 100th and 103rd parallels.
> 12. 1854 - Terr. of Kansas established with south boundary at
37d N.
> 13. 1861 - Kansas admitted as a State with same boundaries
as Terr.
> 14. 1890 - Terr. of Oklahoma organized with north boundary
established
> at the southern boundary of Kansas. This eliminated the
> quad-point.
>
> The status of the strip between the west boundary of Missouri
and the 100th
> meridian between 36d 30' on the south, and 37d on the north
is
> not clear for the period 1828 to 1890. The only defining
statement is that
> the southern boundary of Kansas defined the northern
boundary of
> OK Terr. and eventually of the State of OK. This did not occur
until
> 1890.
> So, I now have to agree with Mike that a quad-point existed and
was
> marked by the then existing stone post at the SW corner of
Missouri, which