Subject: Border Controls (was Re: Vermont - Quebec)
Date: Oct 04, 2002 @ 23:26
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <kevin@...>)

Averill,

>When dealing with sovereign nations, i.e. US and Canada, you can't make a
>law but must have a treaty. That's why when I said earlier that there
>should be a customs/immigration union between the two nations, it would
>have to be negotiated among "equals"

Sure, but there's still no inherent reason why you need border controls
between some countries (USCA is the most obvious example), and why
Schengen-type agreements couldn't be negotiated. In fact, it really only at
the start of the 20th century that countries started thinking about
regulating the movement of people across their borders, something that
gained rapid momentum after the outbreak of the First World War.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell