Subject: EU and other European countries (-> Was: EU or not on the Euro)
Date: Sep 21, 2002 @ 11:34
Author: Jan S. Krogh ("Jan S. Krogh" <jan.krogh@...>)

Victor,
This you are here entering a very interesting problem seen from my point.
Switzerland is not a EU member country, but I feel that is not the same as the Swiss are not "members of the modern World". Switzerland has been famous as an independent meeting point between countries in war between each other. How many meetings have not been in Geneve, Zurich and Bern where peace discussions have been settled. I presume that Swiss officials have been very much involved in these talks in order to achieve all those goals. That a country wants to maintain their independence does not mean that they are isolationistic.
Neither Norway (or Liechtenstein and Iceland) is a EU member. But Norway is anyway probably the country which has implemented and followed up most EU regulations. The reason is maybe, as far as I have understood, that in Norway "a law is a law" and must be followed every inch. In many EU countries people and officials have a more relaxed understanding about especially the EU regulations. In Norway e.g. one will hardly find any cow barn without three entrances (one for the farmer, one for the cows and one for visitors). The reason for Norway to act like this is mainly EU demands in order to aviod problems with export to the EU countries.
Norwegians do not want EU membership because this would probably lead to lower living standards and to give up a lot of achievments on medical and social fields. Even if Europe is small there are a lot of differencies from south to north and west to east. One example is that skin creams made for Central European market does not fit for most light skin Norwegians. Anyway the EU regulations says how the instructions should be written and where it should be sold. Norwegians are blindly following up and thousands are getting skin damages.
My personal opintion is that the EU will need to change after some time. Europe is consisting from a too big mixture of nations with different understanding on things. To create a custom union is one thing, but to create one country as some has in mind I do not think will last long if it comes into being. EU came into being because the borders became too high, migration inside Europe increased and everybody wished less bureaucracy. But as bigger a body is becoming, more papers are required.
Jan