Subject: Re: Enclave thesis
Date: Apr 12, 2002 @ 14:57
Author: lnadybal ("lnadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Greetings,

Mr. Vinokurov's document made interesting reading. I think it is
useful for anyone in the world who needs a primer on how to catalog
things. It is rich in upper level assessments, but like so many other
writings on enclaves, it doesn't dealve into the "nitty-gritty" of
people's lives in them. For instance, if you live in an exclave, and
have to call an ambulance, can it come from the adjacent country? Who
pays the bill and how, in the case of medical insurance carriers.
Does an exclave resident need a work permit to work in the adjacent
country? If Dutch tanks rolled in and occupied a farmfield in Baarle
that belonged to Belgium, would Belgium be allowed to violate the NL -
B border to help it's exclave? I experienced two such incidents, one
in Baarle - where a neighbor called the police to turn down the volume
of a crowd at a party a couple of doors away - the other house was in
a foreign country - the police department that was called couldn't do
anything once they arrived and found the house wasn't in their
country. In Buesingen, I once tried to use US military gas coupons at
the Esso station - the coupons are good at any Esso and BP station in
Germany - but not at the one in Busingen. Why? Because, gas in
Busingen is priced in Swiss currency, taxed at German rates in the
Swiss Franc equivalent, and the gas station's source of supply is
Swiss.

Im not levying a criticism of Mr. Vinokurov's work by my message, just
wishing someone would write up local stories like those from exclaves
they've visited - to get depth on the subject rather than high level
catgorizations of what exclaves are in ever varying compilations of
words that basically repeat the same subject matter.

Mr. Vinokurov's work did expose a couple new situations I'll have fun
getting into, and for that I am grateful he wrote his piece and that
someone here posted it. Whether it matters to the world at large is
immaterial.

Regards

LN