Subject: S.Africa & Lux
Date: Jul 10, 2001 @ 00:16
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

Rechecked the S.Africa maps. Of its five tripoints, only ZaNaBo has a
monument on it. Three others are in rivers, so do not, although Crooks
Corner for example, appears to be on an island in the river and given the
weird dogleg it does, really needs a pillar. I guess the rivers flood so a
monument would get washed away. But there do not seem to be reference
pillars along the banks either. The other dry tripoint is strangely
unpillared althoguh the boundaries towards it have stones on angles or
prominent features along the line.

According to my Luxemburg 1:50 k maps, there is a pillar at the northern end
of the short Fr-Lu stretch of the Moselle, just off the NW tip of an island
in the river, although the registration of colours on the map is suspect so
it may be on the island if the black layer has not been printed exactly in
the right place.
The boundary from there north up the Moselle and then the Our to the
"Belgian Lx-Ger triple is shown not as a series of crosses down the middle
of the river, but short series of crosses first on one bank then the other.
IN one place where the Our has been dammed, the crossess appear to be in the
river, not on the bank, possibly because the original banks are still the
boundary, but also possibly a reigstration problwem in printing or
cartographic error, as the lake twists around a lot, so you wouldn't want
the crosses obscuring the tight contours on the banks.
For the Bel-Ger border on the Our, the crosses again form a line down the
middle of the river. Thus the entire wet section of the BLux-Ger boundary
appears to be condominium, not just the Moselle.
I am guessing the condo has csomething to do with the stastyus of
international river, like the Rhine or Paraguay.

We don't have 1:20k maps. Does anyone else?

BW