Subject: Re: Equator road sign position accuracy
Date: Jul 02, 2001 @ 15:48
Author: Dan Jacobson (Dan Jacobson <jidanni@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

Newsgroups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,sci.engr.surveying,misc.transport.road,sci.astro,rec.travel.misc

>>>>> "Neville" == Neville Y <scubadiver@...> writes:

Neville> Hi Morton
Neville> We have a similar mark here in NZ at 45 South. When I compared with my GPS
Neville> it was over 300 meters out. After enquiring with the authorities they
Neville> admitted that the mark was placed "at the nearest safe parking location".

Here in Taiwan the Tropic of Cancer Visitor's Center's location is
certainly plagued with all the previous worries of this thread
[ellipsoid choice, etc.], and also several more including "for what
year?", making "but where's the exact line" a tough one to answer to
the kids. http://www.post.gov.tw/esp412.htm

Neville> "Morten Kappel Jensen" <mkappel@...> wrote in message
Neville> news:3B3E6357.34709A52@......
>> I just returned from a trip to Kenya and happened to cross the Equator.
>> There was a sign on the road showing the line of Equator. But I had to
>> move about 30 meters more to the south before the display showed Equator
>> on my eMap. Is this because I use WGS84 on my GPS or is the sign just
>> placed on the wrong spot?
>> Another traveller observed the same with his GPS12.

Hans-Georg> Morten,

Hans-Georg> why didn't we meet?

Hans-Georg> Only 30 m? If you refer to the signs on the roads to Baringo,
Hans-Georg> Nanyuki, or Meru, they are all in the wrong spots. Your GPS is
Hans-Georg> correct and much more accurate than the means the people had who
Hans-Georg> erected the signs.

P.S.: I remember as a kid thinking that the state line was at the
sign... but why didn't the sign on the other side of the road form a
90 deg. or whatever angle with the road... oh, the state line is in
the middle of the crossroad and they can't put the sign there...

Check out my brilliant exploration of the US/Can border straight flat part:
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni/1994us_can_border.htm, and also see

http://www.egroups.com/group/BoundaryPoint BoundaryPoint
is an open discussion list for 'pointers and bounders'...those
slightly strange individuals who are interested in finding,
photographing and discussing geopolitical boundary points,
especially those of a tri-state or tri-national nature. We
discuss our various 'mini-expeditions' to these various unique
points on the earth.
--
http://www.geocities.com/jidanni Tel+886-4-25854780 e-mail:restore .com.

--