Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Diomede town
Date: Jun 29, 2001 @ 19:47
Author: Harry ten Veen ("Harry ten Veen" <h.ten.veen@...>)

From: "Harry ten Veen" <h.ten.veen@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: zondag 24 juni 2001 23:05

> Altough ......
>
> there are people that crossed the border from Canada to Russia or was it
the
> border from Greenland to Russia on foot. Or was it the other way round?
>
> I think they travelled from Canada onto everyones ice and from everyones
ice
> into Russia?

I have to correct myself....

The expedition I was thinking of had another route:
They walked form Point Barrow - Alaska starting 21 febr. 1968, over
everyones ice to the North Pole, arriving on 6 apr. 1969 and proceeded
further to Svalbard, arriving on 11 june 1969.
Yes, it took them 476 days!
So this was a sort-of-bordercrossing Alaska/Svalbard = USA/Norway.

[This 4 persons British Trans-Arctic Expedition was lead bij Wally Herbert.
Another teammember was Allan Gill, the other two??? are fallen into
oblivion...... ]

gl
Harry ten Veen