Subject: Re: Steinstücken - DDR counter exclave? (1/1)
Date: Jun 25, 2001 @ 13:56
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I just took this book on Steinstuecken by Catudal out of the Leiden
University Library. The little map of the enclave is clear. But I
wonder whether some other boundary alterations, other than the
transfer of the Bernhard-Beyer-Strasse from the GDR to West Berlin,
were made (simultaneously). The Falk map seems to indicate the
possibility of getting to the Teltower Strasse, coming from the
Bernhard-Beyer-Strasse, via the Stahnsdorfer Strasse, and this route
to be entirely on W.B. territory. If this is the case, then it is
possible that a GDR exclave was formed after all, but only _after_
the disenclavement of Steinstuecken. Still, I think this is a remote
and rather unlikely scenario. After all, a road for getting to the
Teltower Strasse _was_ built: the Am Landeplatz street (does the name
refer to the helicopter landing pad, the helicopter being the
famous "Spirit of Steinstuecken"?). This street can be seen on
David's scan (but bears no name there).

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> [...]
> Teltower Strasse and the Bernhard-Beyer-Strasse was GDR territory,
> and the jig isn't there. It doesn't look like that on this map. So
> I'd say an error, not a printing one, but a cartographic one.
>
> I have a post-Wende Berlin map, so I don't know whether the Federal
> Land-boundary here completely corresponds to the old situation. But
> there is a jig there, too. On the westernmost part of the
> Stahnsdorfer Str., the boundary runs slightly more to the south, so
> perhaps a couple of metres south of the southern edge of this
street.
> After the jig, to the east, the boundary precisely follows the
> southern street edge. This "jig" is at exactly the same location as
> on David's map, but the difference is that the boundary doesn't
cross
> over to the other side of the street.
>
> This could, of course, be a boundary rectification made after the
> reunification of Germany.
>
> The situation at where it says "Neu-Babelsberg" is the location of
> the former three Boettcherberg enclaves. I have never seen a map of
> these (at this time, they didn't exist anymore). How did they look?
>
> Lastly: I hope Falk will stop making maps with this stupid
> projection, distorting everything at the edges, and making it
> necessary to put in these "1000 m"-arrows.
>
> Peter S.
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> > According to Catudal's book, which has a cadastral map of
> Steinstucken
> > inside the cover, the boundary before the road was made W.German,
> was, form
> > the NW of Steinstucken, along Stahnsdorfer (the southern edge of
> the road)
> > to the railway (which is in a cutting here), and down the western
> side of
> > the cutting, then cutting east across the railway line, and the
> road
> > Bernhard-Beyer-Str, to the NE corner of the enclave. I suspect
when
> they
> > made the access road to the enclave West Berliner territory, that
> the
> > railline was not included (you can see this on your map) so that
> the
> > northern 100m of rail line in your map shown by your phathom
> enclaver is
> > actuall East German. Thus you phanthom enclave is actually a
> salient of East
> > German territory into Steinstucken, being the rail line cutting.
> > So you are right and wrong.
> > You are right that there is no counter-enclave here. You are
wrong
> in that
> > it is not a printing error so much as that the boundary line in
red
> along
> > Stahnsdorfer Str fomr the west does not make a jig at Teltower
Str,