Subject: Re: Vennbahn area and municipal maps
Date: Jun 25, 2001 @ 08:06
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

So, judging from the 1973 map, the part of the Vennbahn that forms
the two Monschau enclaves belongs to Robertville municipality in its
entirety. The municipal boundaries are at the spots on the north side
of the northern enclave and on the south side of the southern
enclave, where the Vennbahn enters "normal" Belgium. So this is where
the four extra bi-national tripoints are. At least, that is what I
think I see on this map, but it is very hard to see. The 1983 one is
not clear at all here. I assume (although I can't be sure) that the
post-merger situation didn't change anything to these boundaries, so
this part of the Vennbahn is now part of Waimes, and thus of
Francophone Wallonia. Waimes is a "facility municipality" though, so
some rights for inhabitants that speak German exist (just as such
rights exist for French-speaking inhabitants in all of the nine
Germanophone municipalities).

So, part of the Vennbahn speaks French! Sounds like a regular Belgian
oddity. A pity really, since if it was completely Germanophone, it
would probably be the longest and narrowest isthmus connecting two
territories. Now this title probably goes to that road which makes
Dhekelia look funny.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> The smallest (3rd) Vennbahn enclave is 1.65ha, 16500square metres,
or equal
> to a sqaure 130m on a side. It is thus over 10 times larger than
the
> smallest Indian enclave for which we have data.
> It is not quite rectangular, but about 100m N-S and 150m E-W.
> I measured it using a planimeter, so it is measured off the map.
>
> Also attached are 1973 and 1983 municipal maps of Belgium, cropped
to the
> enclave area. The 1983 map shows the Germanophone region by the
dots along
> the municipal boundaries.
> The 1973 map has dates penciled in by me along some boundaries,
showing
> where the Belg-German boundary was at several time periods.
> The two maps show the situation before and after Belgian municipal
> roorganisations. I also have a 1990s map, but there is no
difference in the