Subject: Re: Really Arbitrary Points
Date: Jun 22, 2001 @ 20:22
Author: Ross Finlayson (Ross Finlayson <finlayson@...>)

>I always wonder if anywhere the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of
>Capricorn are marked???

Yes, I have seen the Tropic of Cancer marked on a highway north of San Jose
del Cabo (southern Baja California, Mexico). I imagine that it's marked in
several other parts of Mexico also.

I have also seen the Tropic of Capricorn marked in a couple of places in
Australia: near the city of Rockhampton (Queensland), and north of Alice
Springs (Northern Territory).

Also, the Artic Circle is marked in several places in northern Europe and
North America (& probably Siberia as well). E.g., I have seen it marked
near Lulea, Sweden.

Interesting question: is the *Antarctic* Circle marked anywhere. (This
would have to be in Antarctica, of course.)

Ross.