Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: nmoktx & columbia mouths
Date: Jun 19, 2001 @ 04:10
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 bjbutler@... wrote:

> Unfortunately your explanation of the NMOKTX problem is not helpful
> because we still don't know anything about where the "real" NMOKTX
> monument is relative to the newly-relegated ersatz one. How far
> apart are these monuments? Are there 2 or 3 or more that look the
> same? How do you know the most recently visited one is real. Do
> they actually all have the same inscription showing the state
> boundaries? Jack's directions match the topo map as well as David's
> experience and indicate that the monument you now call ersatz is
> real. What's the whole story?

I am fairly sure that Michael is CLAIMING that monument photographed
with Jane is ersatz, but the one with me is the real one. I.e., that there
are (at least) two different, but apparently (almost?) identical monuments
in the general neighborhood of NMOKTX. Seems very unlikely to me. I
cannot quite read any of the writing on "Jane's" monument.
"Mine" even has the little map engraved.

T 20 N | T 1 S
R 37 E | R 1 E
S8 | S6
________|________
T E X A S

And the topozone map
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4041104&e=678962&s=25&size=s
shows that corner of Oklahoma being exactly T1S R1E Section 6, and shows
section 8 in the New Mexico part. And if you zoom out to 1:100,000 the
T26N R37E Section 8 also is confirmed. So, I am 99.999% sure that the
monument with me on
http://www.geog.buffalo.edu/~dmark/tristate/10NMOKTX.html is the true
tri-point or at least was intended to be by the surveyors who placed it.

I wonder if it is above ground because of soil erosion since it was placed
in 1932??

David