Subject: Re: quadpoint RuChMoKa
Date: Jun 18, 2001 @ 09:33
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

According to a Russian article I have, the eastern part of the
Chinese-Russian border is 4195 km 220 m long, and the western part 56
km 575 m.

By the way: the only parts that are still in dispute between Russia
and China are three islands:

In the Argun' river (at the confluence with a river I don't know the
name of), the island Bol'shoy
At the confluence of the Amur and Ussuri rivers, the islands Bol'shoy
Ussuriyskiy and Tarabarov.

Because all other islands were divided by the two countries acc. to
the thalweg principle, these three islands were the difficult ones,
since all three are at a confluence point. So the problem is whether
to just look at the river branches and decide which one is the most
important, or first decide on which river the branches belong to.

The Russians are accusing the Chinese of attempts to change the
course of the river at the two last islands (that are very close to
the city of Khabarovsk), by sinking old ships in the channels there,
and by piling ground on the ice in the winter, which is going to make
the channels shallower when the ice melts....

Peter S.