Subject: Re: US-Mexico photos
Date: Jun 14, 2001 @ 09:36
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Not very nice, I agree, but the alternative would be that the zone is
completely off limits. I recall that prior to WW2, France evacuated
everyone who was living between the Maginot line and the border.
Which was a huge territory.

At least the farmers are still allowed to work their lands.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> The fence India is building along its 4000km Bangladesh border is
125m back
> fomr the 'zero line', as an early agreement denied the use of a
250m buffer
> zone for 'defensive works'. This means that Indian farmers in the
> borderlands are foerced to work in their fields beyond the fence
and its
> gates, so that in the event of trouble, guess who can't escape? The
very
> people the Indians should be protecting! Further problems are met
when the
> boundary runs through villages, and half the villag,e the INdian
part, is
> left beyond the pale as it were.
> So the Indians want to relocate people behind the fence
to 'protect' them.
> BW
>

> >From: Dallen Timothy <dtimothy@a...>
> >To: "'BoundaryPoint@y...'" <BoundaryPoint@y...>
> >Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] US-Mexico photos
> >Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:25:09 -0700
> >
> >That's correct, and I think it's only one of the very few (if
there are any
> >others) where the fence is precisely on the border. I haven't
been to that
> >poin since about 1991, at which time it was simply a chain-link
fence that
> >ended about 15 feet from the water. The pictures we've all seen
recently
> >show the new steel fence going quite a distance into the ocean.
> >
> >Dallen

Tijuana
> >area: from the photos I've seen, the fence line appears to
physically
> >intersect the center of the monument.
> >
> >Bill
> >
> >At 05:04 PM 6/13/01, you wrote:
> >

> >Bill, I was thinking that the brackets on the one monument were
for a fence
> >line--maybe at one time the fence was actually attached to the the
boundary
> >marker at that point. I don't know. When you come or a visit,
we'll ask
> >around.
> >Dallen
> >

> >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >

> >www.
> >

> ><http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=201903.1442209.3019422.1252795/D=egroupmai