Subject: Re: ongoing & upcoming tries
Date: Jun 11, 2001 @ 00:33
Author: bjbutler@bjbsoftware.com (bjbutler@...)

Regarding ORW: This area is a real fractal mess, with the definition
of ORW apparently depending on the map scale. I agree that the Cape
Blanco headland is a candidate but, similar to MEE or even CTS, the
imaginatively named rocks southwest of Cape Blanco confuse the
issue. See

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&e=368397&n=4737771&s=25&size=s

Regarding webcams: The camera technology is cheap and readily
available (under $100). The problem is getting a portable real-time
data connection with sufficient bandwidth to send video. The two
main choices are cellular telephone (probably too slow) or high-speed
satellite communications (expensive, even a 64kbps connection costs
about nine dollars a minute). I just finished programming a device
for a large yacht to monitor such a connection and terminate it if
detected no communications traffic for a short, user-selectable
interval. This proves that even those who can afford to spend $100M
(yes 100 million) dollars on a yacht (The Limitless) worry about
datacomm costs.

BJB
--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Michael Donner" <barbaria_longa@h...>