Subject: Re: Armenian/Azeri enclaves
Date: May 18, 2001 @ 13:13
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <grant.l.hutchison@...>)

>Now I'm convinced it is the same enclave. This Armenian fellow has
>printed the Armenian names (in latin letters) on top of a Russian
>map. But underneath 'Azatamut' I can just about read in
>Russian 'Barkhuda....'
I've seen at least one atlas that applies the name Azatamut to the town
just east of the enclave (which looks to be called Aigehovit on the
Armenian maps.) Interestingly, if you do a web search on Azatamut you
will find it listed as a constituency in Armenian elections, having a
dialing code in the Armenian phone system, and as a site for companies
to set up businesses in Armenia. Nowhere in my search (except the
reference on Rolf's page) did I find "Azatamut" given as the name of an
enclave.
GEOnet has Azatamut as a populated place in Armenia at 40d58m33sN
45d11m53sE, and Barxudarli/Barkudarly/Barkhudarly as a populated place
in Azerbaijan at 40d59m36sN 45d13m31sE. This would fit with two towns a
few km apart, but the Azeri name is *east* of the Armenian name, the
reverse of anything compatible with the maps! Gah.
Kyarki is listed as an Azeri name on GEOnet. Tigranashen doesn't
appear, but "shen" is definitely an Armenian ending. After my first
look at these maps I said to Rolf that Kyarki and Tigranashen seemed to
be the names of two different places, but a closer look shows quotation
marks around Tigranashen - so I'm pretty nearly certain now that this
is an Azeri exclave which was given an Armenian name when it was
occupied by Armenia. Does the same apply to Azatamut/Barxudarli (the
preferred Azeri spelling, with a dotless terminal i)? If it wasn't for
the different coordinates on GEOnet and the astonishing integration of
Azatamut into the Armenian system (as judged from my web search), I'd
say yes. As it stands, and with the conflict between coords and maps, I
just haven't a clue at present. Has anyone else got any additional
information?

Grant