Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Passing foreign territory
Date: May 10, 2001 @ 15:12
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

this title sounds like we have been eating track again
but it is a funny mile or so of it there

i used to drive the whole stretch regularly
in fact ever since it was first opened circa 1970 til about 1995 when i
quit even hoping to see any sign of connecticut there
for there never was a peep of anything

thats right
i can vouch
at least a quarter century of total nonrecognition of reality

everyone thought they were in new york state the whole time
except for me of course & maybe a few other connoisseurs

lately tho i chanced to make one of my increasingly rare visits
& was stunned to find a green greenwich sign there
or perhaps it was a green welcome to greenwich sign
not sure now
presumably posted in both directions

not announcing connecticut at all mind you but only greenwich
& no welcome back from greenwich to new york or westchester or whatever
sign at the other end either

not even any red white & blue federal highway escutcheons that normally
tell you quietly every mile or so what state you are in

so it probably just took that long a time for an issue to arise in so short
a stretch of reality which finally required such a sign
especially since greenwichers are famously quiet power
& think so highly of themselves in relation to connecticut & everything