Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: global clave census in progress
Date: May 10, 2001 @ 05:52
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

martin was saying

>the entire
>Strait of Gibraltar is territorial sea (in theory delimited by median
>lines pending boundary agreements between the littoral states)

& this is the only peg we have to hang our analytic hat on in this area
but it ought to be sufficient
both for this area & generally
tho not everywhere
as the following counterexample shows

>With regard to pockets of high seas surrounded by the territorial sea of
>a single country, there is one in the western Aegean to the south of
>Euboea. However, it only exists because Greece only claims a 6 nautical
>mile territorial sea; if it ever claims a 12 nm territorial sea, the
>'enclave' would disappear. Whether others would appear elsewhere in the
>Aegean as a result would probably depend on the outcome of the
>Greek-Turkish war that would likely follow such an extension....

here our entire hat rack falls over
because the global consensus is so clearly trumped by this local one

such examples must affect the claves & their counts
& they will have to be looked after individually
anywhere there is a local variance from the 12nm standard

i was under the impression there might be more pockets of high seas in the
aegean than just this 1 near euboea tho