Subject: Re: global clave census in progress
Date: May 09, 2001 @ 17:38
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I can understand completely your unease, Grant. But to expand the
thing from the terr. waters to EEZ's is really expanding the notion
in order to feel more at ease, at the expense of pouring even more
water into the sovereign wine. I would say that things at sea are, by
nature and by legal status, different from things at sea. Since terr.
waters are almost the same as inland waters (save a very big 'but', I
know: the right of passage), but EEZ's are much more 'everyones land'
(like Michael likes to say) than terr. waters, I'd concede the terr.
waters to be like dry territory, but to call islands detached thus
from the main land 'enclaves' is a bit too much for me, too.

Maybe it would be much better to apply the definition 'en-/ex-
/whatever-clave' to dry-separated, rather than to wet-separated dry
parts. After all, all this maritime boundary-talk starts from _dry_
parts! (and based on that, the coast line, and after that, the base
line, and after that, 12 nm, and after that, .......)

Peter S.