Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] clave census etc
Date: Apr 30, 2001 @ 03:12
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

First, the cyprus maps came out ok for me on the first but not second post.
How about the rest of you?
I will repost if necessary.

As there are somewhere in the vicinity of 150-200 INdo-bangla enclaves, any
census needs to sort them out. Which is exactly what my thesis is trying to
do. Who's got what, where and since when.
Fragments is my word for any part of the (land surface) of a country that is
'broken off', either an island, or the far side of a lake only accessible by
boat (ie angel innlet), or enclaves or whathave you.
I am trying to classify fragments, of which true enclaves are the most
extreme.

full details available within 6 months in my forthcoming tome.

>second
>would the above questions be answered any differently if adjacent
>territorial seas were considered integral parts of those coastal clave
>territories that have them
>just as much as they are integral to the so called metropolitan areas or
>nuclear territories of coastal & archipelagic countries generally

Probably. For example the one on cyprus, which goes down to the tide line,
and no further. Monaco's EEZ is enclaosed within Frances, so in watery
terms, it is an enclave, nort a coastal fragment.
St Pierre et Miquelon are islands, but their EEZs arel ikewise enclosed in
Canadas', making them enclaves.

>third
>do you really mean by the term fragments to invoke the idea of fracturing &
>breaking
>& to imply that these entities have actually been broken or have broken
>or are broken or are being broken in some sense

It's a useful metaphor. The question with enclaves is: are they a remannider
of territory that was lost fomr around them, or are they the first outpost
of a possible territorial expension by the owning state?
The ideas of geopolitik and growth of states as living objects is useful
here. Think of enclaves as drops of mercury or water left over as a tide
recedes, that may become part of the home state when the next wave advances.

BW