Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] clave census etc
Date: May 01, 2001 @ 01:32
Author: David Mark (David Mark <dmark@...>)

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Brendan Whyte wrote:

> cost and other factors. There may be political factors that make it quicker
> to go to bolivia proper than pru, though, like difficult visa/customs
> regimes. But looking at a map, it is 'illogical' for bolivia to own that
> peninsula. Just as it is 'illogical' for Italy to Own Campione. Of course
> Swiss waters surround Campione, while Bolivian waters connect Copacobana,
> interestingly enough.

But Brendan, you must recognize that this is just your personal opinion!!
There is no "logic" that supports you claim. In counter, I can claim that
it would be 'illogical' for a border to swerve about to avoid peninsulae,
when everyone knows that 'logical borders' are straight lines, preferably
following round numbered lines of longitude or latitutude. Wyoming and
COlolaro have the most logical boundaries of any political units except
perhaps the circular cities of Georgia (USA).

David

PS: Perhaps some of our differences of opinion are due to our
environments. Brendan is from a very dry country (Australia) with very
few natural lakes, whereas I am from Canada, with many many lakes,
many islands in lakes, and many straight fiat boundaries that just go
straight through ...