Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: how many countries in the world
Date: Apr 30, 2001 @ 01:46
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

yes thanx grant
& i trust you are right
as it was just that a browse of search results turned up all these numbers
at random from various sources of unknown reliability
& i didnt & cant vouch for any of them

except for the 192 count that is
which alone i have checked for myself & do personally favor
not least because it seems to have the broadest credibility

also i didnt mean to connect the mental maps site with the country count

the marginals & pendings & whatabouts you raise are indeed interesting
& as you suggest present endless complications
but i find the count of independent sovereign countries most interesting
since this is prerequisite to any census of world class multisovereign points
which together with everyones land itself top off my own pantheon of fun

however i have been working on a sample count of the claves &or outlying
areas of the usa alone
both the inhabited & uninhabited ones indiscriminately
since it is all the topological niceties that most appeal to me
just to try out & savor some of these many complications
& will report back soon on this