Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] nsw sa vic & almstn
Date: Apr 24, 2001 @ 15:06
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

>So we have a line running along the river bank and one (ALTn running along
>35 paralell sort of. They turn out not to intersect as described. What to
>do? Extend each until they do. So riverbank line continues north, line along
>parallel continues across ruver, or west fomr middle of river/thalweg as
>appropriate. Bingo, they now intersect on western bank.
>BW

yes yes yes

the boundary that made itself

or perhaps others less enthusiastic would call it a boundary by default

yet it mightnt have done this if ms hadnt first insisted in 1837 that tn
honor the point 6 chains above yellow creek where the original 1819 mstn
survey of the 35th parallel eastward from the mississippi river first
struck the tennessee river
rather than the position 3 quarters of a mile farther south where a
unilateral 1830 resurvey by tn reached the tennessee river
as enshrined by an 1833 tn law
a thus a legal boundary of ms by its own federal enabling acts of 1817

when ms got tn to agree to reverse this law in 1837
since mstn couldnt become federally ratified without the agreement of ms
they were actually only narrowing a legal gap rather than truly closing it
a common comedic theme in tripoint formation

so even apart from the suggestion of the flow of the river
the mstn line was already literally advancing or rebounding northward along
the left bank in 1837

& this was happening at the point in time when almstn was first legally
established
not really yet as a tripoint
but still technically only as a triarea somewhere between altn & mstn

& what was there to stop the arriving mstn line from generating or
reincarnating as an extralegal sector of altn

the point we know as modern almstn couldnt or at least didnt stop it

the only thing that could stop it was the hypothetical arrival on the left
bank in 1837 or later of an extension of the 1817 paleo altn survey line
that had actually stopped on the right bank
a line which also evidently had a mind & momentum of its own
westward in its case as also previously detailed

& they both stopped only when t h e y met

& it was that meeting or image of that meeting in the mind of whoever drew
the first map & has been copied happily but unconsciously ever after
that reduced almstn from a triarea or trigap to a tripoint

but it is still not a legally valid tripoint
only a traditionally accepted tripoint

of course all this is pure silliness because what was originally at stake
was just a small sliver of a wild & flood prone river
& what is now at stake is just an even less significant & more forgettable
patch of water in a huge reservoir

still a nice little hole in reality tho