Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] first try at a complete punctoscopy of canada
Date: Apr 17, 2001 @ 00:47
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

Unwieldy was precisely the argument the Victorian high court judge used
against the idea that the top of the left bank of the murray is the
NSW/Victorian border. Which means a wharf starts in Victoria and extends
into NSW. But it turns out to be correct.
Austrlaia also has an undecided water body: the lenfgth of the Murray from
the NSW/SA boundary at 141deg east to the Vic/SA boundary which was meant to
be 141deg east, but ended up 2 miles too far west. Now as the NSW/Vic
boundary is the south bank of the Murray, where is the Vic/SA boundary for
the length of the Murray until it meets the main N-S part of the Vic-SA
border? No one knows. Topo maps state it is undefined.
The land north of that part of the urray is undoubtedly SA. The landd south
Vic. But what about the river? Does NSW continue dpown the river, between
top of the left and right banks? Does SA include the river? To the top of
the left bank, or only to the median lin,e or thalweg? Or does Vic own the
river?

More next week.

BW