Subject: Re: another gysr gusher
Date: Apr 04, 2001 @ 09:04
Author: peter.smaardijk@and.com (peter.smaardijk@...)

I have actually taken the trouble to read through all this, and
although it is informative in some ways, I find it ridiculous to see
Surinamese and Guyanan/-ese (another **hot** item, ha ha) wallowing
in the geopolitical game they inherited from their former European
masters. I think the links to maps and web sites provided are
worthwile, though, but I have yet to encounter a web side that is
both comprehensive and (more or less) impartial in this issue. Now
for the tripoint, Guyana has a strong case, because apparently the
cemented monument _was_ placed there in 1936, and one Dutch admiral
Kayser, as the representative of the Netherlands, put his signature
to the document that goes with it (this is also mentioned on a
Surinamese site I can't find the url of now; anyway, it was in
Dutch). It is arguable that it is only a border marker on the brsr
border, but what were the British doing there in that case?

Peter S.