Subject: Re: official wine
Date: Mar 25, 2001 @ 19:21
Author: peter.smaardijk@and.com (peter.smaardijk@...)

The Enclave des Papes is one of the five departemental enclaves in
France, that Arif mentions on his web site (I think there are no
more, leaving the Seine source problem, which I don't think is one
anyway, aside). The five are:

One enclave of Nord (59) in Pas-de-Calais (62), with the
municipalities Mœuvres, Boursies, and Doignies
Two enclaves of High Pyrenees (65) in Atlantic Pyrenees (64), with
the municipalities Luquet, Gardères, Séron, Escaunets, and Villenave-
près-Béarn
One enclave (of the popes) of Vaucluse (84) in Drôme (26), with the
municipalities Grillon, Riverenches, Valréas, and Visan
One 'fragclave' of Côte-d'Or (21) in between Nièvre (58) and Saône
and Loire (71), with the municipality Ménessaire

The first enclave has a peculiarity: on the car registration plate of
vehicles from the area, the correct number 59 figures. But the three
municipalities concerned have a postal code that starts with 62
(namely 62147). In this respect it is an exception in France. It even
was discussed in the French senate about a year ago
(http://cubitus.senat.fr/seances/s200004/s20000425/sc20000425017.html)
, where it was said that the inhabitants of the enclave feel
neglected by their departement, and that having a postal code of
another departement was not helping them in explaining their case....

Perhaps they should be asking for some bottles from their fellow
enclave dwellers in the south of the country, just to forget their
sorrows for a while.

Peter S.