Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] bwnazmzw
Date: Oct 22, 2005 @ 20:41
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

ok back again to add

but the thing that is so good & revolutionary about
jims view here
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/18569
& which i think rightly puts to bed our customary
answer to the eternal bwnazmzw question
of
maybe a quadripoint sometimes exists briefly
in favor of
not a chance probably ever
is
that he has finally found for us the correct beginning
place
which is the nazm terminus
because that is the only fixed point in the entire
maelstrom

& at the moment we only know that this geodetic point
exists
& has existed since 1931
when it exactly expressed the location of the chobe
zambezi thalweg junction at the time
but we dont know its geoposition
nor even where to find a copy of the official map it
is indicated on
mentioned on pages 4 & 5 of the ibs here
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS123.pdf
& cited as document 7 on page 8
or in other words
the south africa treaty series number 8 of 1931

the result of this fixation tho is that the living
chobe zambezi thalweg junction
which also delimited & still delimits the bwna
terminal point
has inevitably wandered away from the nazm terminal
point
in some unknown direction
leaving the namibia corner where henry observed the
sandbar in need of a closing stitch or a closing
erasure
depending on what that direction has now come to be

but at the same time
bwzw is also arriving from the south along the hunters
road
in the form of the visible curving line on the satpic
& as defined by a series of elusive but probably still
extant pillars which are described under item d on
page 10 here
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS148.pdf
& which give reason to expect that the alignment of
the terminal segment is both well fixed & well
projected into the river
by 1959 survey terminal marker 842 somewhere above the
bank
thru 1907 survey terminal marker 226 reportedly still
upon the bank

but how far bwzw is projected into the river depends
on whether it junctions first with the zmzw boundary
on the zambezi median line to produce bwzmzw
as it is supposed to do
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS030.pdf
or with the bwna boundary on the chobe thalweg to
produce bwnazw
as it could also easily do unexpectedly
since both of these lines are presumably moving around
all the time

oddly tho
under some conditions
it could also chance to strike neither of these first
but nazm first
yikes
leaving a gaping hole in both namibia & botswana at
the end of bwna
& another in both zimbabwe & zambia at the beginning
of zazw
each in need of a closing stitch

& yet amazingly
it appears all of this is swirling around within a
radius of a very few meters

but jim is right to point to the one thing we can
count on

we just dont know yet where it is

possibly still right there in the living confluence as
you see it in the satpic
but maybe some considerable distance away today too
& yikes possibly even somewhere high & dry now

the inescapable temporary conclusion tho
it seems to me
is to forget all bets on a quadripoint probably
forever but at least until we can be sure that even
any 3 of these borders really do meet somewhere
anywhere
i would now agree

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-17.797645,25.252590&spn=0.038741,0.055610&t=h&hl=en