Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: The Journal of Andrew Ellicott
Date: Oct 16, 2005 @ 12:48
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

--- "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...> wrote:

> > & the whole flood plain is a big if
> > as you must also realize
>

> Yes, I know! Such an important point is worth a
> try, however.

bravo
in general

& a specific hurrah below

> > btw
> > the only ones i am shrugging so far are the public
> > land survey corners
>
> Don't be so sure! See below regarding my wild
> theory.

> Okay, but you've coaxed my theory out of the wild
> while its legs are still
> wobbly--so be kind with the criticism.

haha
as always

> I first noticed that the initial points for both the
> Public Land Survey's
> Washington Meridian in Mississippi and St. Helena
> Meridian in Louisiana seems to
> be exactly where Ellicott's strip map indicates his
> mound 24 should be. (Of
> course, Ellicott's LAMS serves as the base line for
> both meridians.) The
> Washington Meridian was established in 1803, just
> five years post-Ellicott. I
> hypothesized that the public land surveyors might
> have chosen his mound 24 as
> their initial point. Next, I noted that the range
> line 24 miles west of these
> principal meridians is at the valley wall, the
> supposed location of Ellicott's
> point D. Since every fourth range line should be a
> guide meridian, this one
> would be of above average importance, and it could
> be the reason that mound 24
> was chosen as the initial point (if indeed it was).

great thinking & certainly worth checking on the
ground

who knows
we may even get another multipoint out of such a nice
convergency

the only thing i dont get about this is
if both the mound series & the section corner pin
series are spaced more or less exactly a mile apart
as we believe
then if any one corner pin has been synched with a
mound
wouldnt both entire series then stand in such perfect
or near perfect
alignment

so maybe my shrug is not only misguided in one place
but everywhere

> I have an inquiry out now to the Principal Meridian
> Project (
> www.pmproject.org ). I hope that the reference
> described on that site at
> www.pmproject.org/CAlbertWhite.htm will provide
> solid proof one way or the other
> whether the public land survey and Ellicott are in
> sync. I will let you know
> when I hear from the PMP.

wow thats our friend john

well on his way already too

jack may also be able to fill us in btw from his copy
of this book
in case he is tuned in too
as i hope

Yahoo! Music Unlimited