Subject: Re: ellicott mound prospects in louisiana
Date: Oct 09, 2005 @ 04:16
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

lowell
i just realized from a discussion found a bit more than halfway down this page
http://robertoreg.blogspot.com/2003_07_20_robertoreg_archive.html
that the ellicott mounds on alfl are in fact larger & easier to find than anywhere else
because the 1853 retracement of alfl by whitmer mentioned in bus&ss actually enlarged &
reshaped them all into cardinal crosses
like the one i found & described in the field report linked below

this may partly explain why there are no known recoveries of ellicott mounds yet on lams
notwithstanding the several on alfl
& it suggests that your quest for one on lams may actually be more difficult than it would
have been on alfl

so it might be a good idea to find a copy of ellicotts 1814 journal
as partially cited in the bus&ss bibligraphy
which includes fairly detailed maps of all the mound locations
as may its 1962 reprint also

full citation is here at bottom
http://www.dean.usma.edu/math/people/rickey/dms/DeptHeads/Ellicott-mine.html