Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] toward happier obelisks
Date: Mar 17, 2001 @ 15:53
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

> It reminds me of the inmioh tp. I wonder how many tripoints are
>located in the middle of a working road?

glad you asked that bill
since it is really a megamultiquestion all rolled up into one

& i can only speak of the usa tps with any confidence
so there may be more questions here than even i have overlooked

& if anyone would like to see pictures of these
i commend you all to jacks book in pdf at the corner corner
for it gives a lot more good info than just the pix
& he got there first in practically every case

if anyone cant do pdf
topozone will help to visualize until jack or i can post pix

but to begin with bill you may & probably do mean
more or less exactly upon the center line

then too you may mean & in view of laorospo probably do also mean
anywhere upon the working area or median strip of the road
as distinct from the entire right of way
including shoulders drainage ditches etc

third in view of the encryptions that occur both at inmioh & the 6pm position
you may well also mean
buried within the interior of the road
rather than simply marked upon its surface

& there are still other variations & permutations
like armotn & mnndsd which can only be approximated by making a road that
has really stopped working voluntarily at a literal dead end work again
for you in sighting the correct tp position along a projection of the
road centerline beyond the dead end

sticking to what i think you really meant tho

coksok is marked on a circular plate resembling a manhole cover
which is embedded well enough into a dusty dirt road that you cant count on
seeing it unless you know exactly where to whisk away the accumulated dirt
from

conmok is close enough to a junction of ill defined & scarcely working
roadways to at least be considered

iamnsd is very close to a road center tri junction
& is thus technically in the middle of 2 roads

ksmook formerly in a centerline pothole center but now repaved

& the njnypa witness monument is under a freeway overpass
tho the nearby tripoint itself is probably not even within the right of way

& there may be others outside the usa
tho it seems like a peculiarly american folly
owing to the habit of centering roads upon the public land survey grid
for there are also many quadritertiary points in the midwest that also fit
this description