Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Jungholz
Date: Mar 14, 2001 @ 23:22
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

>Jungholz is connected to the rest of Austria by a single point. That is
>alrady established.
>
>On the other hand Germany is also connected with herself at that point.
>Right?

Right

So if Germany is connected is then Jungholz disconnected ie an enclave?

No. BOTH are connected there, and yet both disconnected. That is why single
points are called singularities, because they are truly singular!

>Who owns the point?
BOTH

No man's land or a condominium? If point is a no man's land then Jungholz is
a fragtment (as it is touched by no man's land and Germany).

>If condominium then Jungholz is also a fragtment as it is touched by
>Germany/Austria and Austria!

It is 100% surrounded by Germany, and at the same time is not disconnected
fomr Austria.
It is not a fragment, or an enclave as it is not disconnected.

Let's take another exmaple. On the Dutch-German border, the border must be a
string of points. Who owns them? If Germany owns them, then the border is
the NEXt set of points to the west. And vice versa if Holland owns them.
If neither own them then Germany does not border Holland, it borders a
neutral zone and you have to ask what about the points along THAT border...
A border is an infinitely thin line, but it must be a point. It must exist.
It is not the gap between a German point and a Dutch point. Because if there
is a gap, there must be ap oint to fill it.
For every point m and n, where n>m, there exists a point p such that m<p<n.
Ad infinitum.
We get into mathematics here. It's beutiful. Even if you were only as wide
as a single point, you could not get to Jungholz fomr austrai without
violating German sovereignty (which is probably not a wise thing to do ;)
).
And vice versa for crossing the point from Germany to Germany.
Even more so for objects in the real world that DO have width.

So while Jungholz cannot access austrai without violating Germn soil, yet at
the same time Germans cannot encircle Jungholz without leaving Germany and
violating Austria.

It's a paradox!

It's a frozen snapshot of that instant in time when two waterdrops join to
one, or one splits into two. It is quite remarkable.