Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: museum map
Date: Mar 13, 2001 @ 22:38
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

No, until Magellan no one knew the world was round, so couldn't draw a line
on the other side. Remember longitude was a damn difficult thing to
calculate for centuries, so any line would have been highly inaccurate
anyway, for anyone trying to work out where it was in relation to their
boat.

Someone asked about Aussie tripoints.
Very difficult to get to. You need a 4wd. There is a pub at one (called the
corner hotel), but they are not at all easily accessible, the WA/NT/SA one
especially. The 2 Qld/NT/SA and NSW/Qld/SA are 'close' together to get to
both AND to the 90deg corner in Qld.
The only other one, Vic/NSW/SA I am hoping to attempt at Easter. But there
is controversy surrounding the exact location of it (middle of river, south
bank, and it is undecided where it is along a 2 mile stretch of river on top
of that!

Brendan