Subject: Re: Links
Date: Mar 11, 2001 @ 12:54
Author: peter.smaardijk@and.com (peter.smaardijk@...)

A very nice Dutch site. Although I'm Dutch, it is new to me....

It says here that in Dinxperlo there is still a boundary stone from
1766 there. It was part of the boundary between the Dutch province of
Gelderland and the bishopric of Muenster. There were in all 186
stones. Much of them were removed in 1960 by the Dutch, because in
1949 the boundary was pushed 200 m. eastwards as part of a war
indemnification scheme (the biggest chunks of Germany that became
Dutch were the village of Elten and the Selfkant area). Stupid Dutch!
They should have left these stones alone, all the more because in
1963 the pre-1949 situation was restored. Anyway, there's only one
left now. Anyone has a picture of it?

About the boundary adjustments of 1949, see
http://www.spiegel.de/druckversion/0,1588,19056,00.html . Dinxperlo
is at the little circle due east from Elten.

Peter S.