Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Language "enclaves" in Switzerland
Date: Mar 08, 2001 @ 15:20
Author: Alexandre Mauron (Alexandre Mauron <alexandre.mauron@...>)

Hello,

I was happy to find your forum : I had always thought that my fascination
for enclaves and boundaries was a mild form of eccentricity better kept
private, lest my friends should send me to a shrink...

I think the "language enclaves" depicted on this map correspond to
Mennonite communities in the otherwise French-speaking Jura area. The
Anabaptists and Mennonites were fiercely persecuted in Canton Berne from
the 16th to the 18th century and settled in what was then a rather remote
area controlled by the Prince-Bishop of Basel (and out of reach from the
authoritarian government of Berne). They also went to Alsace, Southern
Germany, Holland and ultimately America. These tightly-knit communities
were small German-speaking islets in the Jura, which however have been
largely diluted out by emigration and secularisation. I don't know what
period the map is meant to refer to, but I doubt that it represents the
present situation. The history of languages in Switzerland is a hugely
complex problem and you will not find two language maps that are exactly
alike.

Best,
Alex Mauron, Geneva, Switzerland