Subject: Re: enclaves on stamps - struttin
Date: Sep 24, 2004 @ 05:28
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

nice try
arty pants
but what is your source for the claims of actual demises in 1663
& 1668 & 1768

there were invasions for sure
& possibly even military occupations in these years &or others
i would not disagree

but all these encyclopedias & others
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/C/ComtatV1e.asp
http://reference.allrefer.com/encyclopedia/C/ComtatVe.html
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Comtat-Venaissin
agree that this clave actually remained under papal control
continuously between 1274 & 1791
& that its only actual political demise occurred in 1791

perhaps there is room for a difference of opinion in this case
depending on the particulars of the invasions &or occupations
of which i am admittedly unaware
but i havent found any hard evidence of the demises you claim

anyway
please carry on
if you can

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<aletheiak@y...> wrote:
> > strut your stuff len
>
> OK "smarty pants" - here goes: this is Nr. 1.
>
> The Comtat Venaissin is limited by the rivers Rhône and
Durance and
> the Mount Ventoux. It is named after its former capital city
Venasque
> (Vindascinum), now a village of about 600 inhabitants.
>
> In the XIIIth century, the Comtat Venaissin belonged to
Alphonse de
> Poitiers (1220-1271), a Capetian prince, son of king of France
Louis
> VIII. Some authorities say it was ceded to the pope in 1218 by
> Raymond VII, count of Toulouse. Alphonse (or Philip the
Bold??)
> bequeathed (or ceded??)the Comtat to the Holy See, which
incorporated
> it in 1274. On 19 June 1348, countess Jeanne (1326-1382),
better known
> as queen Jeanne de Naples, sold Avignon to pope Clement VI,
who
> incorporated it into Comtat. Avignon and the Comtat Venaissin
then
> formed the 'Papal enclave', which developed independently
from France.
> The enclave, which was geographically detached from other
parts of
> the Papal states, itself had an exclave to its east called
"Darbous".

> The economical and cultural development of the enclave
encouraged the
> kings of France to attempt to grab it. The enclave was taken
over by
> the French in 1663, again in 1668 and yet again between
1768-1774. In
> 1791, the bourgeois and the merchants of Avignon promoted
the
> incorporation of the enclave to France, which was effective on
14
> September 1791. The Holy See recognized the annexion only
in 1814.

> So, here we have an enclave and it's satellite exclave that
"came and
> went" at least three times.
>
> For a map - see my site:

http://exclave.info/former/papalstates/papalfrance/papalfrance.ht