Subject: Re: Jungholz boundary cross, was: ATCHLIN
Date: Aug 20, 2004 @ 22:11
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

thank you maestro

you are thoughtful as well as careful
about all these several distinct considerations

& what you recognize as an obsessive urge for precision
is just the most delicious part of the game of trypointing
dont you agree

for we are after all trying to reach an actual point in every case
are we not
rather than just some vague notion of having sort of been in a
general neighborhood

indeed why come so far if only to poop out in the very moment of
truth
especially with something as awesome as a border cross

well i imagine you agree with this
& i do follow you completely here too
except i believe
we dont in fact know if the position of the x mark was ever really
measured
nor if the reference markers relate to this x rather than to some
other point upon or around the marker
such as its center or vertex or whatever

we do know the cross symbol is not centered on the marker
which is immediate cause for concern
if not outright doubt

nor is this cross an actual schematic of the border conjunction
which we know is shaped more like the letter k than the letter x

& on top of & despite all that
as you also point out
we do have the reference markers & bearings & exact distances
that could easily settle the question once & for all
without resorting to extraordinary arguments etc etc

so unless someone is afraid of checking their certainty
which is really all i am proposing to do anyway
rather than challenging anyones opinion
i believe a 100 foot rigid tape measure
tho not so cheap btw
should do the trick here
just as well as or better than it should at say mdvawv or czplsk

happily trypointing isnt really about arguing
but only about seeking & finding the best available truth

i am confident we will recognize it when we have really reached it

& we are already so close to completing our diligence

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Ernst Stavro Blofeld