Subject: Re: DCMDVAN via Potomac Heritage Trail
Date: Aug 09, 2004 @ 13:38
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

insertions ahead

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "lowellgmcmanus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> If you will go to the extreme close-up April 2002 "Urban Areas"
> color aerial photo at http://tinyurl.com/3kko5 , you will see the
> area of the tripoint. These urban photos allow you to zoom in
> several steps closer than most on the web.

yes great source thanx

> You can see Virginia 123 curving across the lower left quadrant
of
> the photo. Note the large complex of buildings that seems to
be
> under construction at the bottom. It might be even commercial
> rather than residential. I believe rather strongly that the
> northwestern wall of this complex is up against the boundary
between
> Arlington and Fairfax Counties, the complex being in Arlington.

it is almost undoubtedly parallel to arfa but most probably at a
short remove from it rather than directly up against it
since constructing anything directly up against a property line is
usually forbidden by suburban building codes

my guess is the offset here should be at least 3 feet

but we might do equally well using the pavement change &
welcome signs on route 123
& then following the blue ribboned survey stakes from there
if indeed they are still in place along the combined property &
county line
all the way to the top of the cliff where they end
& then eyeballing back up toward them from the base of the cliff
in order to continue the alignment to waters edge

or at least that was my technique back then

but it must be said
that try was only approximate because i could only see the last
blue ribbon position from the river bank
whereas at least 2 ribbons in view at once would of course be
needed for anything resembling a true alignment

& i never found the wm1 marker on that alignment

indeed i never recovered it at all

of course my try was correctly focused on the low water line
so no wonder i missed or overlooked it at the high water line

but a more careful reading of the topo & bus&ss would have told
me even back then that i wasnt ultimately looking for dcva wm1
anyway & not at any water line
since it is not the dcmdvan marker
but only the next best thing to dcmdvan

still
the retry obviously needs to focus first on recovering this marker
precisely because it will suggest or actually indicate the best
available alignment of dcmd
& from a distance of only 1 tripointing stitch away from dcmdvan
rather than from all the way over the horizon

> Since that boundary is the vestigial DCVA boundary, it will align
> perfectly with the DCMD boundary coming from across the
river.

the boundary will but as noted probably not the building

> Perhaps this will be of help in finding the precise area of the
> river bank. You can click the image to zoom in one more step
for
> the closest view of all.
>
> The web site at http://www.deepwater.org/trails/#phtrail says
that
> there is access to the Potomac Heritage Trail at "Pimmit Run
(at
> Chain Bridge)" [in Arlington County], and that the "trail follows
> Pimmit Run for a short distance before a low-water crossing
into
> Fort Marcy Park" [in Fairfax County]. Thus, the trail crosses the
> county line over 300 yards away--and across a ridge--from the
> tripoint on the river bank.

good finding

so thats a dead end

but fortunately your new improved aerial view does give us a
great peek & some hope at least of walking up the right bank of
the potomac from the mouth of pimmit run anyway
just as mike & i imagined the trail might do for us
except on our own

for even if this route is too hairy for a regular hiking trail to follow
it might still be a tad less hairy than trespassing down the cliff

end inserts

<aletheiak@y...>
> wrote:
> > i saw that in the trail blurb & on the topo too
> > & figured it must be so
> > even tho the trail is named for the river
> > & even tho it sounds & looks fully 500 feet off its course there
> >
> > but the first thing the blurb says is
> > this trail extends along the bank of the river
> >
> > & the trail is also shown hugging the bank
> > everywhere else on the map accompanying the blurb
> >
> > so rather than interpreting these remarks as conflicting
> > i am guessing that the bit about the george washington
parkway
> > overpass must refer to a small local displacement that the
trail
> > makes from the bank in order to get around the mouth of the
little
> > pimmit run feeder stream there
> >
> > or maybe it is just an incomplete instruction for how to wend
> > ones way down from the higher chain bridge causeway level
> > river level via the declivity of the feeder stream
> >
> > but time will tell
> > & the cliff & rich homes are of course still there if we need
them

> > parking is a bitch in that neighborhood tho
> >
> > will you be joining us please
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
> > <bjbutler@b...> wrote:
> > > The description of the Potomac Heitage Trail at
> > > http://www.washdc.org/trail8.html says that west of the
Chain
> > Bridge,
> > > the trail is located beneath the high overpass carrying the
> > George
> > > Washington Parkway. This seems to place the trail about a
> > quarter of
> > > a mile west of the Potomac River and, worse, west of
Pimmit
> > Run and
> > > Chain Bridge Road. The previously mentioned "rich
homes"
> > are on the
> > > east side of Chain Bridge Road (VA 123). Therefore I don't
> > think the
> > > existence of the Potomac Heritage Trail says anything
about

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38.931&lon=-77.1204&s