Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Dangerous tripoint
Date: Feb 21, 2001 @ 01:01
Author: Michael Donner ("Michael Donner" <m@...>)

glad to have you back in strength  brendan

& jesper

you seem to have discovered another floating or at least aeronautic tertiary or quaternary multipoint for bill & me to barnstorm

in fact nice shooting by all

my own multisovereign multipresidential weekend was spent in aerial delight too

trying to hitch a ride to bscuus the bahamas cuba usa tri country point

first at the marathon airport

where i learned that the standard charter aircraft can for various reasons neither reach the tripoint nor even create the opportunity to photograph the lands of the 3 convergent countries simultaneously on the horizon

& was then also informed that the only way i could do either of these things was to charter the late model czechoslovakian mig fighter jet at the other end of the airport

& turn it upside down 35000 feet over the tripoint so as to shoot everything at once in a single photo aiming vertically down thru the cockpit roof

well i actually scarcely slept on this all night i was so excited

& even imagined shooting up the tripoint with guns & camera simultaneously in a second pass at low altitude so the point would stand out from its vast & otherwise empty neighborhood in the florida straits

  a nice creative use at last for all this awesome technology btw

before learning in the morning from the owner of the jet himself that he couldnt legally & wouldnt do any of this either

etc etc

later i learned from another flier i know that i was not really defeated by this news but that the only way to do what i am desiring is to come back on march 23 & 24 when the hotdog convention is in town & everyone would be happy to do it with me for the price of half the gas

so i will do that

but probably not until next march owing to a schedule conflict

in the meantime i have found a more detailed navigational chart & it comports well with my earlier reading of the eez line trijunction position but focusses it down even better to

n lat 23 deg 55 min 20 sec &

w long 81 deg 12 min 30 sec

or possibly as little as a 500 foot square or even a 100 foot square window of water

if the department of the interior cartography & my inferences can be believed in this instance

well anyway i never actually got off the ground except mentally but it was plenty