Subject: Re: International Boundaries by Ewan W Anderson
Date: Jan 24, 2001 @ 10:10
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)

Ewan Anderson is a professor in the Centre for Middle Eastern and
Islamic Studies at the University of Durham and a former associate of
the International Boundaries Research Unit, where I work. Note the
word 'former'! Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of
this book. Ewan neither made use of IBRU's resources when researching
the book, nor asked anyone here to review the manuscript - I leave it
to you to draw your own conclusions!

I'd also like to make a couple of comments about Gideon Biger's
Encyclopedia of International Boundaries (some of you will have
spotted that IBRU contributed to the preparation of some of the
boundary reports). It is certainly a useful first stop for boundary
enthusiasts, but I would caution against treating it as a 'bible'.
The book was written with high school students in mind, and some of
the historical information was deliberately simplified as a result -
occasionally to the point of being misleading (eg Ecuador-Peru). In
many cases I also feel that Gideon has been a little hasty in stating
the boundary is undisputed, although I recognise that perceptions of
what qualifies as a dispute can vary considerably. In his defence,
I'm sure that Gideon would be the first to say that he was not trying
to produce a work of similar authority to Ian Brownlie's "African
Boundaries". I would also say that although I haven't seen Ewan
Anderson's book (despite the advertised publication date, I don't
think it is available yet) I'd be willing to bet that the Biger
Encyclopedia will be a considerably better investment (if you have
seen Anderson's previous "Atlas of Geopolitical Flashpoints" you will
see what I mean...).

Regards,

m a r t i n

--- In BoundaryPoint@egroups.com, "Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen"
<jesniel@i...> wrote:

> Does anyone know of this book?
>
> Is it better than Gideon?
>
> International Boundaries - An Atlas of Frontiers - (buy
from Amazon.com) ~ Advanced orders being accepted
> Professor Ewan W. Anderson / Hardback / Nov 2000
> A one stop place for all the information required on
boundaries including the treaty details and a geopolitical
assessment. It provides vital illumination for academics, lawyers and
businessmen on how stable or unstable boundaries and the legislative
glue that holds them in place.
> This Atlas is distinct from anything else in the field in
that it presents for each country in the world its territorial and
maritime boundaries, the treaties involved in their delimitation and
the range of potential problems connected with them. With each
description there will be a detailed map and all the boundaries of
each country will be considered in relation to that map.