Subject: Re: cnkpru - more pictures
Date: Feb 09, 2004 @ 01:28
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "pete2784west" <
petter.brabec@c...> wrote:
> Funny, the decree from 1998 does not mention the 306,9 m from the
> border marker 1.

whoops
you are right

& i thought thats where you were quoting it from
hahaha
but the text in message 12459 states no such distance

er
so where did you get that number from then

but anyway
lets not get bogged down over that detail
because we dont seem to need it anyway
& the text does seem to give us all we do need

but please notice that tho it carefully defines the line of
delimitation of the boundary water areas of the 3 countries
it speaks in terms of these waters only as ru & kp & joint cnkp

it doesnt address cn waters at all
only joint cnkp waters

very important distinction to notice

> If I follow you line of reasoning, this is because
> the entire line between the two markers (No.1 and No.2) is a triline
> shared by all three states

no i dont mean this

i do mean the triline is shared by all 3 states
with cnkp jointly abutting it on one side & ru on the other

& i do believe the triline begins at marker 1
at the left bank
as stated in the text

but i dont believe the triline can extend past midchannel upon the
direct perpendicular line from marker 1 to marker 2
whatever that distance happens to be

whether that specified number of meters or otherwise

the joint cnkp zone itself may extend from bank to bank
or in other words all the way from marker 1 to marker 2

we dont know this tho
nor need to know

but since kpru begins at midchannel
the triline per se must end there
at cnkpkpru

more below

> , but there is a slight problem and
> correct me if I misunderstood something: In art 1. nr.2 is says
> that "... state boundary meeting point of the three countries is
> located on the point where the line delimiting the boundary water
> areas of the three countries intersects the middle line of the main
> channel of the river." To me, this is the actual and factual
> tripoint. At this point, as it says in art.3 nr.1 at the end "...a
> boundary merkar on the state boundary meeting point of the three
> countries, which is located on the water level of the Tumannaja
> river, will not be erected." That's what I meant by getting wet and
> going fishing. The tripoint is on the water level.

yes i see & agree there is a slight problem
as you say
& i believe it is not you who need correcting but the treaty writers
hahahaha

they think they have a triline with a tripoint at only one end
the wet end
cnkpkpru

but they really have a triline with tripoints on both ends

they focus in the text upon the wet unmarked tripoint alone
& yet ironically they can do this only after having first anointed
marker 1 as the dry terminal of the triline aka cncnkpru tripoint

a fact which they then proceed to ignore

i believe this is a defect in the text

a stick must have 2 ends

& the text acknowledges both ends but then spaces one of them out

more below

> However, on the land both on Korean and Russian-chinese river bank,
> there are the tripoint markers and that's something else than the
> actual tripoint. The actual tripoint on the water level is located
> on the line between the two tripoint markers no.1 and no.2. There is
> no mentioning about how far is the actual tripoint from the two
> tripoint markers either.
>
> Another thing, and interesting enough is that the border marker 423
> or the first tripoint marker, is still a border marker between China
> and Russia only. The Korea is not to be mentioned on it. This could
> mean as I suggested last time, that this border marker 423 has been
> chosen for convenience purpose in order to delineate the factual
> tripoint on the water level, but not actually giving a territorial
> claim on the boundary line to the Koreans.

i agree with nearly all the above
but given the text we do have
i imagine there would have had to be some prior cnpk agreement
regarding the exact borders of the joint zone
which specified marker 423 aka 1 as its corner post

That claim is perhaps
> heralded by the erection of tripont marker no.3, where on the one
> side is written Korea.

here is where we begin to differ

i dont attribute any definitive significance to marker number 3 but
imagine it to be just for witness or protocol

the triline is already fully defined by markers 1 & 2
in conjunction with the midchannel point between them

Yet it stands solely on the Russian
> territory. One might guess that the tripoint marker no.3 is placed
> on the line between markers no.1 and no.2 but closer to the river
> bank designating the start of the line dividing the river waters
> between the joint Chinese-korean and Russian. If the tripoint border
> marker no.3 is placed inside Russian territory, then it has to be in
> some angle to the line between the other two tripoint markers.
> Otherwise the tripoint marker no.3 is placed de facto on the Chinese-
> russian border. But again no specification about it in the decree.

i dont see any of these guesses as necessary or very likely

also geometrically
marker 3 cant possibly fall on the direct line between markers 1 & 2

> The art 1 nr.1 says something about the main points deciding the
> direction of the line. It says that, ...a straight line, running
> perpendicular from boundary marker no.423 on the Russian-Chinese
> state boundary to the line in the middle of the main channel of the
> river in between the two river banks." If the tripoint marker no. 3
> is not on this straight line, then it can not run perpendicular to
> the actual tripoint in the river.

i dont see the correctness or even the need for this line of reasoning

> The line can not be considered as the same as the actual tripoint.

i think we must again face the fact with cnkpru that we have already
faced & well digested with both bedelu & defrlu

our tripoint is a triline

& at the ends of the triline are
tripoints

or if you prefer
semi tripoints

but thats the basic topology

a ditripunctitriline

it is geometrically determined

& we cant help it or change it

but i just think the writers of this cnkpru treaty were a little naive
& clumsy about it
& you are rightly picking up on this

> None of the treaty parties mention it like this. Art 3. no.1 says
> that, ...the state boundary meeting point of the three countries
> will be demarcated by three markers...". To me, it does not mean
> that every tripoint marker is the actual tripoint or that the line
> is a point in itself, but that the tripoint markers only demarcate
> the actual tripoint. The demarcation determines the actual tripoint
> on the water level of Tumannja river. Thus, the tripoint markers are
> mathematical, physical and geographical constructs with the sole
> purpose of demarcating the actual tripoint.

i agree with all this
& refer it to the cnkpkpru tripoint

but the text also indicates that marker 1 also marks the conjunction or
tripoint of the cncnkpru water areas

& moreover that the triline extends between these 2 tripoints

otherwise i cant see how to rationalize all this into a single picture

& by way of footnote
a tiny additional detail

there is some reason to believe the cnkp joint area is wet only

& thus it couldnt actually begin at marker 423 on the riverbank
but rather only at the waterline very near this marker

& this may technically reduce the length of the triline slightly
& make its terminal point the bank itself rather than the marker

but this is at most a mere quibble

end of insertions