Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] hey
Date: Jan 09, 2001 @ 04:16
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

thanx once again brendan
we are on the case

>Matin Ira Glassner's book "systematic Political Geography" has illustrations
>of stamps of various enclaves, boundaries and countries in it.
>
>BTW, I just checked up on German en/ex-claves. I was wrong! Argh!
>However, I am sure the Hotentots only have one word for the two concepts ;-)

haha
right you are
eskimos too i daresay

& your joke leads me to try for a simpler & more natural & therefore
perhaps more punctologically useful analysis & classification of all these
thingies
as follows

all sovereign countries or first order states
of which there are now perhaps 192 or 193 in the world
varying in size from russia down to the holy see
have their sovereign territories
some on land only & others on both land & sea
but always in complete & fully bounded 3 dimensional shapes

& we might want to add to that picture
just so as to comprehend the full spherical area of the globe
all the common heritage areas
in their capacity as 1 additional or supranational sovereign state territory

in any case
all these shapes or territories are by chance or historical accident or
whatever either entire & singular
or else they are separated into a plural number of different units
by an intervening sovereign territory or territories
or much more rarely but equally so by a boundary cross

it might be fun & illuminating btw to get the entire list of countries &
break it into 2 subsets determined by this singular or plural criterion
at least to see which half of the world would be larger & by how much

also out of even more idle curiosity
does the standard baarle bits roster count the boundary crossed units as 1
or 2 bits

but anyway to continue the analysis
we know that the various sovereignties per se are never really fragmented
but always unitary
nor is a sovereign territory ever literally fragmented even if it is plural
since nothing has actually been broken
seeing as it all comes in separate pieces naturally as it were
in the eyes of a hottentot or eskimo

now for purposes of punctology all the pieces are coequals or coclaves
if you will
rather than 1 or some being an exclave of any other

that is
there simply is no major nor metropolitan nor homeland unit
nor is there even any sense of relative territorial size among the units
but just an indifferent or alphabetical list of them so to say

& you can see that very vividly at kentucky bend where the exclave alone is
responsible for 2 of the 3 kymotn tri state points

anyway that is the basic & ridiculously simplified picture

now by using this homogeneous system of reckoning
the systematic search for tri country points would simply boil down to
tracking how all these territorial units interact amongst themselves & how
they all together completely flesh in as it were the global surface mosaic

& this tracking work could be set up & maintained in perpetuity by a
properly programmed gis system
or so i presume from our earlier experiment
& thus i would not have to make all these lists any more

& it could begin immediately rather than waiting another 50 years for all
the pending boundaries to fall legally into place
& it could also compute equidistance & 200nm boundaries for those countries
still pending
& in this way we would have in short order the first truly & fully
operative global model of omnisovereign & multisovereign reality
aka the first official map of everyones land
like europa decades before its time