Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Neutral Zones and joint land
Date: Jan 04, 2001 @ 22:33
Author: Mats Hessman (Mats Hessman <Mats@...>)

About the neutral zones:

I, too, seek information on the NZ:s close to Ceuta and Melilla.
Incidentally, Rezette's book on the spanish enclaves is available
at the Royal Danish Library. http://rex.kb.dk:4505/ALEPH

The NZ between Spain and Gibraltar seems de facto has been
annexed by Spain. At my visit a few years ago I saw no signs at
all indicating some kind of no-mans-land. Does anyone have
an experience to share?

The UN buffer on Cyprus, is that a NZ? If so, then we have an
exclaved NZ (!) around the Turkcypriot beachhead on NW Cyprus.

Historically there were, as has beed said on the list recently, at
least two NZ:s in the Arabian peninsular desert, one of which
was at one time larger than in recent years.

There was also a small NZ on the border between Egypt and
Israel in the Sinai-desert during one period.

Before the 2nd WW Tanger in todays Marocco and its hinterland
was designated on maps as an International Zone (Internationales
Gebiet).

How about the Suez Canal? Wasn't that at one point jointly
administered by at least France and England, or is my memory
at fault on this point?

Mats