Subject: an apparent apparition was RE: [BoundaryPoint] Historic geographic anomalies
Date: Jan 02, 2001 @ 02:14
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

dear arif

glad you pursed this
as it is interesting

>Mike - I thought Georgia interrupted South Carolina's
>march to Pacific, so thought it was an exclave. But,
>as I have mentioned, I did not get to look at the book
>for a long time. However, I am pretty sure Eastern
>New York did block Massachusetts' claim and thus there
>should be a detached territory there. Can you check
>it out?

the boundary between ma & ny was controversial from early times
& was not agreed upon in any sense til 1773
presumably in london particulars unknown
nor acknowledged by congress til 1785
nor marked til 1787
all substantially as at present

the demarcation had to be performed by a federal commission tho
evidently owing to the vehemence of the disagreement even then

since all sovereign claims to western lands by ma beyond the mississippi
were extinguished in 1783
& all those west of ny in 1785
& all those within ny in 1786
it sure looks as tho ma was forced to retract her western limits
progressively eastward from the pacific to the taconics
& as tho her boundary with ny could not be drawn on the ground til she
actually consented once & for all to the entire truncation
as a matter of complicated political expediency & compromise

it is possible tho that someone might have believed & might still believe
based on the above data that ma really did have a disconnected western
territory at some time between 1773 & 1787

so maybe we should call this type a vanishing & reappearing ghost exclave
if any

plainly tho it is not as clear or definite as those of ct
even if i am prejudiced