Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Dutch exclave
Date: Jan 01, 2001 @ 22:11
Author: Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen ("Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)

That is the small field we are all talking about.

Unfortunately there are no demarcation for the field.

Peter lend me a map of that region 1:25000 and it's really great. I am planing to visit Baarle in March-April and I will go for this lot.

I just took my ruler on the map and I found a straight line (without touching the Baarle town itself) for around 2½km. Starting in Belgium, entering Holland, then entering a small BE enclave, back in NL, entering another BE enclave, back in Holland and then crossing into BE and though the NL enclave and back in BE. That means crossing the international boundary 9 times in 2½ km. This could probably also be done else in the world if i.e. a border river is very twisted - but this is unusual.

Since this Dutch spot is 100% surrounded by Belgium I would call this an enclave.

Is the stripe of land with the town of Terneuzen classified as an exclave as you cannot go to main-Netherlands other than crossing water. Sort of like Point Roberts, WA.

Jesper