Subject: ghost busters was Re: [BoundaryPoint] Historic geographic anomalies
Date: Jan 01, 2001 @ 03:29
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

arif

> Mike, many of the original states were supposed
>to go from the Atlantic to Pacific. Massachusetts
>actually had another exclave that stretched to
>Pacific. The most interesting Atlantic-Pacific
>stretching was South Carolina (I think, I need to find
>the atlas; it could be Georgia), which was supposed to
>stretch to Pacific in a narrow lane, but the
>definition of the lane was mistaken, thus there was
>technically no such lane. I am not sure, but the fact
>that there was no lane may have been discovered after
>they gave up the lane. Thus there could have been a
>ghost ghost exclave.

it is true that 6 maybe 7 of the original colonies legally reached the
pacific at some time
albeit with several in mutual as well as international conflict
but i dont believe there were ever any transcontinental states

massachusetts was one of these transcontinental colonies
& tho mapmakers sometimes show it interrupted by eastern ny & the great lakes
i believe it never was legally disconnected but only disputed in places
& so i think mass never really had any legal exclaves other than maine

i would agree mass has at least 2 or 3 pseudo ghost exclaves
if that is what you mean

you are right about sc too
& she was mistaken about herself
so that makes a different kind of pseudo ghost
a pseudo ghost proruption in fact
& a very interesting one i agree
but again there was no exclave since there was no territorial disconnection
even in the distorted imaginings of sc

> Jesper, you have no idea the can of worms Panama
>Canal Zone is. It will be one of my geographical
>oddities later
>

> Both Colon and the
>exclave within Colon had coast, but the maritime
>borders surrounded them, thus making them exclaves.
>Whew!

looking forward to this too