Subject: national maritime territory was Re: [BoundaryPoint] ozzy tripoints
Date: Dec 20, 2000 @ 05:33
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

arif mentioned

> quite a few countries in the world
>probably have all territorial waters belonging to a
>central authority while the land belongs to a state.

right
most all i would guess
& have found 4 different standards so far

united states
individual states extend outward from coast 3 nautical miles
before federal waters kick in

canada
provinces & territories extend outward into coastal waters but only so far
as low tide line
& crown waters even extend far inland up navigable rivers

australia
states & territories do not extend into coastal waters but end at high tide
line
subject to further study

mexico
federal maritime territory actually extends onshore 10 or 20 horizontal
meters above the high tide line
tho i forget which

such vagaries determine the legal positions of many federative tripoints in
each case

>If in any case, they have a line of possession of
>islands, we should take them as some sort of boundary
>line instead of completely ignoring them. Hey, we
>could get some extra tripoints that way.

hahaha
right again
we might actually still find within archipelagic states a few oddball
allocational tripoints
such as were common internationally thruout the pacific a century ago

but these were always comparatively insubstantial & have been largely
supplanted by the tripoints that arise from the modern maritime convention
which generally distributes waters to islands rather than vice versa
& recognizes only the terrafirma based maritime limits as being real

still as observed above
subdivisional boundary standards vary widely
so nothing no matter how strange can be ruled out
at least not until it has been checked out