Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Geographic centers
Date: Dec 12, 2000 @ 15:31
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

dear jack

this one really is from oz
& i dont mean down under

i have been trying to read & think about it for days

how could the geographic center keep bouncing around like that

changes in the population center i could understand
but the geographical territory of kansas has scarcely budged since it was
created in 1854

there do seem to have been a few minor changes
all owing to various avulsions of the missouri river
& probably all recognized simultaneously in the 1950 boundary adjustment
with missouri mentioned on p118 of bus&ss

but are these what caused the various changes

possibly tho i doubt it because none of the known dates match up

or was it the forward march of the necessary mathematical knowledge

i doubt this too because i dont believe it really budged either

perhaps the cause was primitive computational errors discovered years
afterwards

but those people were much better at arithmetic than we are today

so i just cant figger it

even the deliberate settlement of kansas center has become unsettled

it is as if the central kingdom & royal court of oz itself were shaking