Subject: I-66 in D.C.
Date: Jun 10, 2003 @ 03:42
Author: Brendan (Brendan <pit.hokie@...>)

Thanx for the recognition, Michael. I'm not a frequent poster but I'm
always glad to enrich the minds of my fellow tripointers.
To your question re: I-66, it does indeed enter D.C. From William
Yurasko's D.C. Highways page at http://www.yurasko.net/wfy/beltway/dc.html:
"Enters with US 50 via the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge, then heads N-S past
the Kennedy Center, the E Street Expressway, and Watergate. Ends at the US
29 Whitehurst Freeway/K Street interchange. Was supposed to continue to
I-95, but both plans were cancelled. One plan called for an underground
tunnel under K Street." Here's a shield to validate:
http://www.interstate-guide.com/ishields/thb/i-066_dc.jpg
The shortest signed Interstate (some are unsigned routes denoted only
legislatively) is I-375 in downtown Detroit, at 1.06 miles. The shortest
unsigned is I-878 in New York near JFK airport (0.7 miles).
As far as the shortest 2di segment in one state with only one end in that
state, I-66 is the winner at 1.11 miles. If you want to get technical (as
D.C. is not a state, but a district), the western I-76 (there are two!) in
Nebraska is 2.48 miles long.

Brendan