Subject: intl tripts etc
Date: Dec 09, 2000 @ 16:51
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

david was saying recently about binational tripoints

>Hmm, that is an odd phrase.

true
which is why i would reserve international to mean only binational
tho i realize international certainly can mean multicountry also

>I guess it must mean two "states" or
>"provinces" meeting one other country?

yes it must or at least can
or any other junction of an international boundary with a subdivisional
boundary of either country

so i suppose coinages of this sort could mix & match all sorts of incompatibles
including disparate levels within the same &or different countries
or apparently matching entities of different countries having nothing
really in common but the coincidence of their names
& i can see how this might be quite unsatisfactory in many ways

indeed all such tripoint blends might fairly be called mongrels or bastards
if not also completely ridiculous
yet they have a certain distinction & prestige too just for being international
as well as exotic & outre & borderline in the extreme

anyway i am not wanting to make anything of them that they arent
but just to acknowledge them for what they are

>> would have called them international tripoints too tho
>
>I would not call them tri-points because there are not three things of the
>same "level". But, chacun a son gout.

i understand
& share your desire to acknowledge some identity or compatibility or
harmony among the components of the multipoints
which is after all only a reflection of practical reality

but what i have been groping for at the same time is an idealized if not
actually objective hierarchical arrangement for categorizing & organizing
all the sovereign areas & lines & points in the world
into a comprehensive naming & filing system that embraces everything &
excludes nothing
& that weighs or values all things equally & precisely according to their
relative level or degree of sovereignty without regard necessarily to their
literal identity or meaning

in such a scheme for example the areas of all the generally recognized
countries in the world
as well as of any nonsovereign or omnisovereign areas comprising the rest
of the world
would all enjoy a certain primordiality & equivalency
by virtue of not being contained within anything less than the world as a whole

similarly for all the primordial hence international boundary lines

similarly for all the primordial hence multicountry tripoints etc

& turning to the successive sublevels
all the secondary & tertiary etc areas & lines & points
whether involving states or provinces or territories etc
within any given country or primary area
would also be artificially homogenized according to their level regardless
of any intrinsic heterogeneity

i realize this meaning of level may not have been the meaning you meant
but we are being treated on tv now to a first clear glimpse of a sovereign
hierarchy even down to the individual counties of florida
& ultimately down to the divines of individual individuals
so i can see that this all inclusive & cumulative scheme of sovereignty &or
divinity is no longer only fantastic but now also real

as for the implications of this discovery or revelation upon the boundaries
between & among the sovereign states of the world
as well as among their various levels
& a fortiori upon those ultimate distillations of sovereignty
our most beloved multipoints
or the holes between the cracks between the worlds
well now perhaps you can already see the madness to my method

anyway
excuse the excursion or peregrination
& thanxx for helping the thought